5.17.2011

Livin' it. Lovin' it.

Holy Cow

I woke up this morning with a realization.  It went like this "Holy cow.  We live in Paris!"  It happens this way, the realization of where we are comes in waves.  Then I had a sobering thought right after that... one day it will be time to move away from Paris and it will be so bitter sweet.  We will, no doubt, be excited to move back to where our family and friends are, but we will be so sad to leave this wonderful city and all the great memories we are going to make and have already made.

I wish I was better at being present.  What I mean by that is realizing the full impact of what's happening as it's happening.  It's so hard though.  Like when I was in Afghanistan, I could only think "Ahhhhhhhh I'm scared".  It wasn't until I returned that I could fully grasp how amazing that whole experience was.  I certainly don't want Paris to be the same.  Well, it's not like you could ever compare Paris and Afghanistan, but you know what I mean!

So, we are going to live it up and love every moment of it!!!

A Few Memories Already Made...

We started the Wednesday Friendsday tradition with our buds, Julie and Kelly.  Okay, we have only done it once because we have had prior obligations every Wednesday since then, but it is GOING to be a tradition.


Kyle forced us to raise the roof


Somebody gets a little competitive with the board games after a couple glasses of vin blanc...


Kyle and I went out to Versailles to see the gardens at the palace.  It was so gorgeous and relaxing.  We both said we could spend every weekend in those gardens, and we haven't even been in the palace yet!  Maybe when Jonathan and Lane come next week? :)  

This was our first sight when we exited the Metro.  I bet this is less than delicious.




That looks more like a snarl on my face than a smile.








Does anyone else think this lady's tripod is a bit overboard for her camera?




So relaxing, I took my shoes off and walked around.  Believe it.




Purple teeth.



We made a new friend last week!  Another Julie.  She is just as fantastic, fun and food-loving as our Julie.   She will be known as Julie P and we love her :)  Sadly, though, she had to go back to Dallas.  She came to visit Paris Julie last week.  I had so much fun walking around the city with The Julies - I told Kyle "It was so great!  I felt like we actually live here and have friends and stuff!"  It is so exciting that it is going to be that much fun each time we have visitors.

The first night we hung out with The Julies we went to Les Cocottes.  It. Was. Wonderful.  (Totally off subject, but can anyone understand how hard it is to stay bridal-gown-thin in the land of pastries, baguettes, butter, chocolate, wine, cheese, etc??  It ain't easy.)  I wish I had photos of our delicious meal to show you, but I'm way too chicken to whip my camera out in a nice restaurant.  Afraid the Frenchies will shun me for life.  I'm sure I'll get over that fear any day now.  The food is just too dang good not to show you!

You may recognize this place if you saw the 100th episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, in Paris.  Happens to be another Christian Constant restaurant.  That man is a genius.  We had a run-in with him that night, but it seemed he didn't remember us from Kyle's brush with fame at Cafe Constant.


The next day we gathered goods for our picnic.  It was my first time to walk around with an eight foot long baguette.  Now I'm Parisian. 


I give you... The Julies!



The spread.  Not bad, huh?  That cheese was so good.  I dream about it.


Of course, no picnic is complete without 300 grams of sugar...


and another beautiful shot of the Eiffel Tower.


Bisous!
Maygan

2 comments:

  1. How have I just discovered this?! Damn new job blocking facebook and personal email!!! Excellent work Maygan! Love being able to see some of what you guys are experiencing. Cant wait to see you next month!!!
    Clay

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg is that tex mex place also in a hostel? Because if so then Lizzy G and Brandy and I totally dined there at the ripe old age of 18... Miss you!! So glad to see you're enjoying yourself!! :)

    ReplyDelete