1.07.2012

Closing Out 2011 and Ringing in 2012!

Ooooh 2011...


If I were giving out an award for most eventful year, 2011 would be a very strong contender!  There definitely were some rough, stressful, tough, trying (and so on and so on) times, but overall it was absolutely fantastic.  Kyle and I had so many memorable experiences, it would be impossible to name them all.  From mega life changers to mini moments we'll remember forever, 2011 was certainly a year that made us stop and appreciate what we have and the people we are so lucky to share it all with. 


Here are just a few of those moments that come to mind...


Hmm let's see... oh, moving to another COUNTRY!  Paris, you have changed our lives forever.


Getting married in spectacular Aspen with all our loved ones around.  We may be partial, but we think it was the best wedding ever - we'll remember every wonderful moment forever :)


Honeymooning in gorgeous Italy with my love.


Getting to share our lives in France with friends and family that visited.  I just love that!  Ready for more!


Meeting new friends from around the world.  Starting Wednesday Friendsday.  Celebrating their birthdays.  Meeting their visitors.  Joining an Adele singalong with a bunch of strangers (probably all tipsy) on a bus going down the Champs Elysees at 2:30 am.  Such fun.


Tasting all sorts of crazy French foods, like sweetbreads.  Don't know what that is?  Look it up when you get a chance.  And don't judge me.  We're in France, and it was delicious!


Crying out of frustration while trying to learn to speak French.  Crying because we missed everyone back home.  Crying because a Parisian was rude to me and I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Crying because... well, sometimes I was crying and had no idea why.


Finally reaching a point where I no longer felt like crying!  Recovering from my homesickness and opening my eyes to all the great things here.  Really enjoying the time Kyle and I have in Paris.  Feeling like I could understand at least a little French and communicate somewhat.  Just feeling comfortable in my own skin again!  Oh, that was a great moment :)


I could go on for days.  What a year.


Christmas and New Years


Another great thing about 2011 is that we were able to travel to Berwick to spend the Holidays with my family in England.  It's the first time in 20 years that I've been there for Christmas, and it was fantastic!




Cutest Grandma ever!  Someone was excited to open presents!





Saffie opening one of her presents.





Kyle's initiation into the British tradition of pulling Christmas crackers then wearing the silly paper hat that comes in it.



My paper crown was too big for my tiny head, so I got a paper necklace.  Love this picture of me with Grandma and Kathleen though!

Desperately hoping for someone to drop some food



Cara's tree seemed to be tired of Christmas

And so was Brian

And Saffron!

Visiting beautiful Rosslyn Chapel - supposedly the location of the Holy Grail (seen in the end of The Da Vinci Code).

They were doing repair work, so there was scaffolding everywhere.  Also, no pics allowed inside.  These photos certainly don't do it justice.



Merry Christmas, y'all!

For New Years Eve we had planned to go to Edinburgh for their big street festival.  However, we reevaluated our plans after looking at the weather - cold, VERY windy and 70% chance of rain.  Since you're outside the whole time, it didn't sound like the best idea.  We opted for a little town in Scotland with a good group, fireworks, bagpipes, drunk Scots.  It was just right.






I meant to take a picture of this clock right at midnight.  Somehow all I came up with was 11:40.




Caroline and Brian's house, our home for the Holidays.

View from their backyard.


New Years Day was really beautiful and mild for Berwick this time of year, so we went out for a long walk to celebrate the first January 1st without a hangover in a looooooooong time!





Walking the golf course, coast and walls of Berwick with Caroline and Brian.












After the walk, Kyle joined Brian and some of his "mates" for some pints at the pub.  When they came back one was hungry and one was hurting.  Guess which is which...

Heading to the airport after a wonderful Christmas.  See you soon, England!


Buckley was SO excited to see us when we got home!!!

Looking forward to more great adventures in 2012!


Bisous!
Maygan

No comments:

Post a Comment